New law requires nonresidents to purchase ATV trail passes

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) operators who are not Minnesota residents must possess a trail pass when riding on state or grant-in-aid trails, as the result of a new law that took effect Jan. 1, 2010, and was modified during this year’s legislative session. The nonresident ATV State Trail Pass does not need to be displayed on the machine but must be available for inspection when requested by an officer.The pass is not required if:

The machine is registered in Minnesota.
The vehicle is operated on a portion of an ATV trail that is owned by the driver or the driver’s spouse, child, or parent.
ATV operators can purchase one-year nonresident ATV trail passes ($21) any of four ways:

Online at and click on “buy a license.”
By phone (credit card only) by calling 888-665-4236, 24 hours a day, seven days a week; there is a $3.50 convenience fee per transaction.
In person by visiting any one of more than 1,500 DNR Electronic License System (ELS) locations throughout Minnesota (the same vendors who sell hunting and fishing licenses). Locations are listed online.
DNR License Center, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul.
OHV trail maps, ELS vendor locations, and other informational items are available online or by calling the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or toll-free 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.